Monday, July 16, 2012

Confessions Of Woman Counselors: Part 5


THIS ONES FOR THE GIRLS 
Haley Satrom July 16,2012


Preparation for Ministry
Once upon a time, I lived in a house of 80 women.

Count ‘em: 8-0.

I was in a sorority in college, and this meant that I willingly chose to live in a house of 80 college-aged women. When you live in a house with 79 female roommates, many things become normal to you. Three girls to a bedroom, thirty girls to one very large bathroom, TLC A Dating Story, TLC A Wedding Story, TLC A Baby Story. Tears of laughter, tears of disappointment. Late nights studying, snacking on Twizzlers, dancing to Martina McBride. And late nights talking—about silly things, deep things, sometimes hard things, and often important things.

To some, this lifestyle may sound less than appealing, I realize. But to me, it was truly the source of much joy. I couldn’t have known back then, living in that crowded sorority house, that God was preparing me for the ministry I am so passionate about today.

Women Counseling Women
I am a woman who counsels other women. I get the privilege of spending my work days basically just spending time with other women. I talk with them, I learn about their life stories, I listen to their hearts’ concerns, and I try to come alongside them to seek God in the midst of their trials. I try to encourage them with God’s Word. I comfort them. Sometimes I have to do the hard work of confronting them. I problem solve with them. I pray for them. I pray with them. I watch as God grows and heals them.

In summary, I have the best job in the world; I am a biblical counselor, and I love what I do.

Why It’s Important
I value the ministry of women counseling women—both as a counselor who counsels other women, and also as a counselee who’s been counseled by other women. I appreciate it as someone who works on staff at both a church and a private practice, where I witness daily its many benefits. I believe the ministry of women counseling women is a needed ministry that does much good for the body of Christ.

I could write a long list of reasons why I believe women counseling women is so valuable. I’ll only mention a few at present.

Reason # 1: Women connect with other women in a powerful way, perhaps more quickly and deeply than they do with the average man. The mysteries of the female heart are not so mysterious to females, and because of this, we understand each other in a unique way.

Reason # 2: Furthermore, that connection is safe between counselor-counselee, in a way that (I would argue) it is more safe than it is between a male and female. There is not the same room for confusion of the heart that can occur in a counseling relationship that crosses gender lines.

Reason # 3: That connection is not only quick, deep, and safe, but it is also useful in the tricky moments of the counseling room. My observation has been that female counselors generally feel more freedom to rebuke a fellow female than the average male counselor feels (especially when tears are involved!). A female counselor is going to be quicker to detect manipulation and call it out, because we are, simply put, hard-wired the same.

A Vision for More
For these reasons and more, I desire to see more women of God trained and working as biblical counselors. This occurs with the proactive support of their churches and pastors. Godly women need encouragement from their shepherds to consider this vocation. They need financial help with seminary fees. They need staff positions at churches and in private practices. And they need congregations who understand the benefits of women formally biblically counseling women.

May the Lord let it be so. He has already done so much to grow biblical counseling in its influence and practice among the body of Christ. I look forward to seeing how He will raise up more women to participate in this ministry in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment