Thursday, January 29, 2015

Trying to Survive Without Prayer

I am currently reading Tim Kellers book on Prayer ( Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God ). I highly recommend the book. Tim does such a great job of writing from his personal experience and study , providing his readers with relatable, practical material backed up with solid scripture references. Countless hero's of our faith , even Christ Himself survived on prayer. It was a part of their lives that was disciplined , committed and highly active. The depth of our prayer life as Christians is related to the success of our lives in all other areas. Prayer is our life line , and direct communication line to our heavenly Father. I know for my self and many friends we can understand what is feels like when we know the person we love cannot be reached. Even if you could pick.up the phone and dial their number or shoot them an email. That feeling knowing they won't receive it for days, for weeks , maybe months !! Those who have been in a long distance relationship , when your friend goes on a long trip , or your loved one gets deployed to a foreign country. That feeling of distance , disconnection , and anticipation can be excruciating at times. I help but think that is how the Lord feels in His dealing with me sometimes. Frustrated that I don't pick up my phone , answer my text , or reply to His email more often then not. So many things He wants to tell me , things my heart longs to hear , information that would be so helpful and yet I don't have the time to connect for minimal times a day. I ask myself WHY ???

I am constantly convicted by the Spirit in regards to my prayer life. It is an area that constantly needs work. Quality prayer is directly linked to our view and knowledge of the scriptures and the Father Himself. Prayer is an extended conversation with the Lord and stems from the Bible , God's personal love letter to His children. May we strive to love and know the Word inside and out so that we can know directly the One we are conversing with in prayer. We long to speak to you often and hear from you Jesus even more.

Here is another great article on Prayer that the Lord brought to my attention this week. It ministered to me hope it does the same for you.

http://www.thegospelcoalition.org/article/8-lessons-from-the-school-of-prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment