Friday, November 28, 2014

Embracing The Change

This Thanksgiving holiday I walked into an empty house , all alone , carrying grocery bags and an overnight bag for the weekend. A house that once was full of Christmas music , joking, laughing , fighting (hahaha) , and the kitchen where we cooked for an army was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Proceeding to prepare my families signature broccoli  rice casserole that we bring every thanksgiving I began thinking emoting. BEWARE , we are talking about the girl who can count the number of times she has cried and rarely shows any signs of extreme emotions or feelings. I begin to tear up. I know what your thinking , what a weirdo to cry over a casserole. I'm with you , seriously  hahaha what's my problem? You this time of year and all the traditions it holds are significantly missing , and or changing right before my very eyes. Working through how to process a change or transition that i am in fact very much so looking forward to but at the same time is the hardest thing to do.

This was going to be the last holiday season that my entire family will be in the same place living out the same traditions as a family that we have created for the past 24 years of my life. While my younger sister has plans to start her own family this summer and my youngest sister moves off to begin college adventures the holidays will never ever be the same. This is a time in history iv only dreamed and imagined but here i am right smack in the middle of a reality. Yet my last Thanksgiving as I know it is being spent  without my family.


As human beings we hate , and avoid change with every fiber of our being. We look for every way around, over , or under it. We struggle to know how to funtion and adapt when thrown out  of our comfort zone and thrust into the unknown. We panic , desire to go back , and hold on to anything familiar to us even if it's not healthy for us. So often change is for our good and becomes a new normal after some time. The life of a Christian is one that needs to be marked by frequent change and progression. When Christ  saves us and calls us to Himself we encounter the gratest change in the world. He takes our filthy rags and clothes us in His robs of righteousness. We go from being dead to alive. From being broken to made whole. It dosnt stop there , no our life is continually going through change by the process of sanctification  where the Lord over the course of our life is shaping  us into the glorious image of His Son Jesus.

I am so grateful that my Jesus does not just  leave me in the place He found me but that He calls me to a life marked by constant change. While He Himself never changes or shifts , He leads us to follow Him through trials , triumph and open doors that all lead to making us more like Him as we show those around us the love and beauty of the Savior. Father this year would give us the strength to follow You closely no matter what life holds , may we be found faithful to embrace a life of change as you daily sanctify and refine us. We say all we have for all that You are!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so grateful for you! Thanks for staying awake with me! You're more kind and patient than I deserve and I'm so glad for Friendsgiving and our stuffing creation:)

    ReplyDelete