Monday, March 11, 2013

Higher Then High

How many times in a day, in a week, in the course of year do we view situations and circumstances not going Our Way?? How often are we completely content with where we are in life, how often do we have in the back of our minds something we want from God or life? 
For me personally I cannot think of a time in my life that I have stopped and thought to myself life is perfect right now, just the way everything is going right now at this time. Never!!! This saddens my heart more then I can say. Apart from incredible words like, gracious, loving faithful and merciful, all words that describe the character of our Heavenly Father, my ultimate favorite is the word sovereignty. Back in the day before I became a focused student of the Word this was an adjective that would go in one ear and out the other. It was a theological word that I didn't care to understand the importance of. However I can remember the night sitting at youth group listening to my pastor teach on this word, and I remember the Sprit illuminating its meaning in my heart and mind. My life and view of Christ was forever changed. Ever since that day the truth of this one sweet word has proven itself time and time again. Through the joys and many struggles of this life I have found great refuge in knowing and understanding that not only is the Lord good in ALL His ways but He has a detailed plan and purpose in all He has done and will do. 
This morning in my devotions I had the honor of hearing John Pipers heart on the doctrine of Sovereignty. One of my favorite passages on this topic is found in Isaiah 46 and it says this.........

Remember the former things, those of long ago;
    I am God, and there is no other;
    I am God, and there is none like me.10 I make known the end from the beginning,    from ancient times, what is still to come.I say, ‘My purpose will stand,    and I will do all that I please.’11 From the east I summon a bird of prey;    from a far-off land, a man to fulfill my purpose.What I have said, that I will bring about;    what I have planned, that I will do.12 Listen to me, you stubborn-hearted,    you who are now far from my righteousness.13 I am bringing my righteousness near,    it is not far away;    and my salvation will not be delayed.I will grant salvation to Zion,    my splendor to Israel.

I find such comfort and joy when reading this. As a believer we have all hope knowing that the Lord our Protector, our Father, our Redeemer, Healer, Provider, Emmanuel. Not only does He walk through this life, leading  every step of the way, but He knows the end from the beginning, all we have to do is follow. 
Trust me I know the feeling and I tell myself all the time "easier said then done Hannah". We can trust a loving God with our lives, our dreams, and deepest desires because our God longs for our greatest good and His ultimate glory. John Piper said it well, "Nothing absolutely nothing befalls those who love God and called according to His purpose, but what is for our deepest and highest good. (Psalm 84:11)" Take comfort dear friend with me in my God as I rest in His promise to us that no child who loves His will lack ANY good thing. For Him we surely live and move and have our being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment